NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that formal applications required to be completed in order
to apply for the entry-level position of Patrol Officer in the Bethlehem Township Police
Department are now available in the office of the Township Manager at the Bethlehem
Township Municipal Building, 4225 Easton Avenue, Bethlehem, PA 18020-1496. The
applications are also available for download on-line at Bethlehem Township’s website
This position is governed by the Civil Service Rules and Regulations of Bethlehem
Township. Starting salary is contractually set at approximately $70,607.
The applicant, at a minimum:
(1) EITHER-OR REQUIREMENT: Must show proof of EITHER valid Act 120
certification (Municipal Police Officers' Education and Training Act), OR successful
completion of sixty (60) college credits received from an accredited institution of
higher learning acceptable to the Township Civil Service Commission:
(2) Must have reached his/her twenty-first (21st) birthday before the deadline for
submission of completed applications;
(3) Must be a resident of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania or become such within
thirty (30) days of appointment;
(4) Must possess a high school or general equivalency diploma;
(5) Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator’s license and must obtain a valid
Pennsylvania motor vehicle operator’s license at time of employment;
(6) Must be a United States citizen;
(7) Must be physically and mentally fit to perform the full duties of a police officer;
(8) Must be able to speak, write, and read the English language;
(9) Must complete an application form, which must include a check or money order
(no cash accepted) for $50.00 to cover processing costs. Check should be made
payable to “Bethlehem Township.”
Applicants who pass all Civil Service tests may be subject to a complete background
investigation and polygraph examination by the Bethlehem Township Police Department.
Such investigation will cover personal and professional qualifications, to include credit
history, driver’s license status, drug use, prior arrests, and academic/employment record.
Completed application materials must be received, by mail or in person, in the office
of the Township Manager (listed above) not later than the filing deadline of Noon
(12 p.m.), Friday, June 25, 2021. Applications received after the filing deadline, or
those applications found to be incomplete, will be rejected.
If a candidate’s application is filed before the deadline and is determined to be complete,
the candidate will be notified by Bethlehem Township of his/her eligibility to take the
written examination portion of the application process.
The written examination will be conducted Saturday, July 10, 2021, at a site and
time to be determined. A candidate is eligible to take this examination ONLY if he/she
has been notified by Bethlehem Township that his/her application has been determined to
to read/print the instructions
for the Police Application for Employment